Payroll FAQs

Who should I contact with questions about my pay?

If you have any concerns regarding your pay, please send your inquiry to detailing your concern.

Do I need to re-hire a student every semester?

If the position and pay remains the same in both the fall and spring semesters, one Electronic Personnel Action Form (job assignment EPAF) will be appropriate for the entire academic year. If a student works during the summer, a new job assignment EPAF is needed since student jobs are terminated at the end of the spring semester. Please refer to Students Working at Rice or the Student Employment section of the Office of Financial Aid for more details.

Why are one-time payments taxed at a higher rate?

The IRS considers one-time payments as supplemental pay and are taxed at the IRS supplemental withholding rate of 22%. Please visit for more information on this topic.


When is my timesheet due?

Web Time Entry (WTE) timesheets through ESTHER must be submitted by 11 a.m. and approved by 5 p.m. on the Monday preceding the pay date (or the Monday following the end of the 2-week pay period). Holidays can cause these deadlines to shift so you should always check the Payroll calendar for deadline information.

What if I miss the 11 a.m. submission deadline?

If you miss the 11 a.m. reporting deadline, you should contact your approver immediately and request him/her to submit the time on your behalf before the approving deadline of 5 p.m. that same day. Otherwise, you will need to complete a timesheet (staff timesheet or student timesheet) and submit to your approver. Please have your supervisor submit the timesheet on your behalf to, preferably with a Timesheet subject. Paper timesheets will be processed on the next pay cycle (after Payroll receives the timesheet).

Why didn't I receive overtime when I used benefit (PTO) time in the same week?

According to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), overtime is paid for time worked in excess of 40 hours per workweek. Rice University Human Resources Policy No. 410 outlines that hours worked and also holiday hours will be considered in the overtime calculation.

What if I submitted the wrong hours on my last timesheet?

If you are correcting an already submitted WTE timesheet, please do the following:

Print your WTE timesheet Make the necessary adjustments Sign/initial WTE timesheet (both employee and approver) Department submits the revised timesheet to, preferably with a Timesheet Revision subject If a revised timesheet is approved by your approver and submitted to Payroll before the next payroll run, the correction will be made on the next pay cycle

Tax Forms

How do I update my W-4 form for Federal Income Tax withholding?

Employees can submit their W-4 withholding information through ESTHER by selecting Employee > Tax Forms > W4 Tax Exemptions or Allowances. If no W-4 information is submitted to Payroll, employees/students will be taxed at the highest rate - single status with zero withholding allowances.

NOTE: Foreign nationals are advised to delay completion of the W-4 as they may need to submit additional visa/immigration information to determine eligibility for completing the W-4.

I am a foreign national. How are my tax withholdings determined?

More information will be available at a later date. In the interim, please contact the Payroll Office for specific information related to your tax status.


Why is there a non-benefit deduction on my pay stub?

For questions regarding non-benefit deductions such as tax liens, child support, and parking, please submit your inquiry to  Please direct questions regarding Cashier Bill Payment deductions to

What are my benefit deductions?

Benefit deductions including, but not limited to, health insurance, medical or dependent care flexible spending, life insurance, and retirement deductions are handled by the Benefits team at ext. 2363 or You can also view your benefit deductions through ESTHER by selecting Employee > Benefits and Deductions.

Direct Deposit

How can I enroll in direct deposit?

You can enroll in direct deposit through ESTHER by selecting Employee > Pay Information > Direct Deposit Allocation. More information is available at the Direct Deposit main menu in ESTHER to guide you through the process.

Can direct deposit be set up with any financial institution?

Direct deposit can be set up with any U.S. financial institution of your choice. If you have a financial institution that ESTHER does not recognize, please submit a request to to add your bank to the list and also include your bank's name and 9-digit routing number. Please do not include your account number in the email request.

How can I make changes to my direct deposit allocations?

Changes and additions to your direct deposit may also be made through your ESTHER account. More information is available at the Direct Deposit main menu in ESTHER to guide you through the process.

Where do I access my pay statements (stubs)?

Pay statements are accessible through ESTHER by selecting Employee > Pay Information > Pay Stub.

Payroll (Pre-Paid Debit) Card

How do I inactivate my payroll card?

It is a two-step process. (1) You need to inactivate your payroll card account through ESTHER by selecting Employee > Pay Information > Direct Deposit Allocation. More information is available at the Direct Deposit main menu in ESTHER to guide you through the process. (2) You will also need to contact US Bank by calling the number on the back of the payroll card to inactivate your account with them


Where can I view the Payroll calendars?

For calendars and other important dates, go to the Payroll Home Page. The pay schedules are also listed under Helpful Information.

Why are the W-2s not available at the end of December?

The IRS requires all employers to provide W-2 statements by January 31st of the following calendar year. W-2 statements will be postmarked by January 31st for inactive employees and current employees who do not provide their consent to receive the W-2 electronically. For current employees who provide consent to receive their W-2 statements electronically, W-2 statements will be available earlier than the mailed W-2 statement.

Current employees can elect to receive their W-2 electronically through ESTHER by selecting Employee > Tax Forms > Electronic W-2 Consent. Then, an email notice will be sent when the W-2 statements are available each year through ESTHER by selecting Employee > Tax Forms > W2 Year End Earnings Statement.

The Controller's Office is located in the Cambridge Office Building, also known as COB, at the intersection of S. Main street and Cambridge street.

In this building you will find the the following Departments:

The Cashier's Office is a division of the Controllers Office, however, it is located in the Allen Center, directly behind the Cambridge Office building.

Our Location:

Cambridge Office Building
6100 Main Street MS 70
Houston, Texas 77005-1827