Hiring Department Resources
EPAF Hiring Form (completed by department) - Departments submit the hiring form through ESTHER at Employee > Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF). Refer to the EPAF guidelines and the EPAF main menu and screens in ESTHER for more information.
- Students will be able to access their electronic timesheets immediately after the hiring form completes the EPAF queue (unless the job effective date is in the future).
- Students should only start employment after the hiring department submits the Student Job Assignment EPAF to the routing queue. Departments that allow a student to start work without completing an I-9 will receive an I-9 compliance fine (refer to the I-9 section in Hiring and Paying Student Employees).
EPAF Originator and Approver Access – Individuals need Originator and/or Department Approver access given to them by Payroll. Departments should direct all EPAF access requests to email@example.com. Refer to EPAF access requirements for more information.
EPAF and Hiring Process Training – There is training available every 4th Thursday morning for individuals with EPAF access. Refer to the payroll calendar for dates and email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for training.
WTE Approver, FYI, and Proxy Access – Individuals need Approver, FYI, or Proxy access to review and/or approve timesheets. Approver, FYI, or Proxy access is given by Payroll (approver/FYI) or the primary approver (proxy). Departments should direct all WTE approver and FYI access requests to email@example.com. Refer to WTE access requirements for more information.
Student Researchers (Rice and Non-Rice students) - Please refer to the following for an overview of the guidelines for processing these payments:
- Student Research Employees (SRE) – Employees are required to satisfy the Form I-9 requirement prior to the start of employment. SREs will report their hours worked through Web Time Entry in Esther and receive pay on the B2 (bi-weekly) payroll. Payments will be reportable on Form W-2 or Form 1042-S
- Student Research Trainees (SRT) – Trainees will need to complete Form W-9 or Form W-8BEN and upload the form through the Vendor Portal. They will receive their payments from Payables through a check request(s). Payments will be reportable on Form 1099 or Form 1042-S, which may result in tax liability when SRTs file their tax returns.
- Employee or Trainee Matrix (guidance regarding whether a student researcher is classified as an employee or trainee)
- Student Research Trainee Guidance (guidance for departments to preserve non-employee status of the Student Research Trainee Program)
- Student Research Employee Process (visual representation of the workflow process for hiring a Student Research Employee)
- Student Research Trainee Process (visual representation of the workflow process for paying a Student Research Trainee)
- Visiting International Undergraduate Researcher (visual representation of the workflow process for bringing a visiting international undergraduate researcher to campus)