Hiring Department Resources

Helpful Hints for Hiring Departments

EPAF Hiring Form (completed by department) - Departments submit the hiring form through ESTHER at Employee > Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF). Refer to the EPAF guidelines and the EPAF main menu and screens in ESTHER for more information.

  • Students will be able to access their electronic timesheets immediately after the hiring form completes the EPAF queue (unless the job effective date is in the future).
  • Students should only start employment after the hiring department submits the Student Job Assignment EPAF to the routing queue. Departments that allow a student to start work without completing an I-9 will receive an I-9 compliance fine (refer to the I-9 section in Hiring and Paying Student Employees).

EPAF Originator and Approver Access – Individuals need Originator and/or Department Approver access given to them by Payroll. Departments should direct all EPAF access requests to Refer to EPAF access requirements for more information.

EPAF and Hiring Process Training – There is training available every 4th Thursday morning for individuals with EPAF access. Refer to the payroll calendar for dates and email to register for training.

WTE Approver, FYI, and Proxy Access – Individuals need Approver, FYI, or Proxy access to review and/or approve timesheets. Approver, FYI, or Proxy access is given by Payroll (approver/FYI) or the primary approver (proxy). Departments should direct all WTE approver and FYI access requests to Refer to WTE access requirements for more information.

Student Researchers (Rice and Non-Rice students) - Please refer to the following for an overview of the guidelines for processing these payments:

  • Student Research Employees (SRE) – Employees are required to satisfy the Form I-9 requirement prior to the start of employment. SREs will report their hours worked through Web Time Entry in Esther and receive pay on the B2 (bi-weekly) payroll. Payments will be reportable on Form W-2 or Form 1042-S
  • Student Research Trainees (SRT) – Trainees will need to complete Form W-9 or Form W-8BEN and upload the form through the Vendor Portal. They will receive their payments from Payables through a check request(s). Payments will be reportable on Form 1099 or Form 1042-S, which may result in tax liability when SRTs file their tax returns.
  • Employee or Trainee Matrix (guidance regarding whether a student researcher is classified as an employee or trainee)
  • Student Research Trainee Guidance (guidance for departments to preserve non-employee status of the Student Research Trainee Program)
  • Student Research Employee Process (visual representation of the workflow process for hiring a Student Research Employee)
  • Student Research Trainee Process (visual representation of the workflow process for paying a Student Research Trainee)
  • Visiting International Undergraduate Researcher (visual representation of the workflow process for bringing a visiting international undergraduate researcher to campus)

The Controller's Office is located in the Cambridge Office Building, also known as COB, at the intersection of S. Main street and Cambridge street.

In this building you will find the the following Departments:

The Cashier's Office is a division of the Controllers Office, however, it is located in the Allen Center, directly behind the Cambridge Office building.

Our Location:

Cambridge Office Building
6100 Main Street MS 70
Houston, Texas 77005-1827