Tax Accounting


Within the mission of the Controller's Office, the Tax Department is to ensure the university's compliance with various taxing authorities and to provide quality tax services to campus departments.

Tax Accounting Services Include:

  1. Administering the university and subsidiaries' tax compliance.
  2. Ensuring timely filing of the university and subsidiaries' federal, state and local tax returns, reports and payments.
  3. Developing necessary procedures and reporting systems to ensure compliance with federal and state tax laws applicable to the university and subsidiaries.
  4. Conducting tax research and advising on the tax consequences of certain activities or transactions of the university and subsidiaries.
  5. Providing tax-planning opportunities for the university and subsidiaries.
  6. Tracking legislative tax developments at the federal and state level and advising the university and subsidiaries accordingly.
  7. Functioning as the university and subsidiaries' liaison with federal and state tax authorities as well as with outside tax advisers with respect to tax issues.

What You Can Expect for Your 2023 Tax Forms from the University:

  • W-2 forms are issued by the Payroll office and are available now. The form is accessible through the MyADP system, which can be accessed through iO by following the Me > ADP – W2 Form links from the individual’s iO home page. Individuals who did not have US social security numbers or US addresses in iO as of 1/11/24 will not be able to access the W-2 online and will receive a paper copy instead. Paper forms will be sent to the designated primary mailing address in iO no later than 1/31/24. Please email or call 713.348.3410 with any questions regarding the W-2.

  • 1099 forms (such as 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC) will be issued by the P2P office by 1/31/24. 1099 is not available electronically; instead, it will be mailed to the address that was submitted on form W-9 or W-8BEN during the supplier setup process or graduate fellow onboarding. For those who have access to the supplier portal in iO, it is the address marked as “income tax reporting site” under their supplier profile. Please note that for students who have multiple addresses listed on their supplier profile (such as a permanent address and a local address), the income tax reporting site may or may not be the same as the address where payments are remitted. All graduate students who receive a 1099 should expect to receive form 1099-MISC. For your Form 1099 questions, please contact

  • 1098-T forms will be issued by the Bursar’s Office by 1/31/24 and will be available to view electronically through ECSI's website. ECSI is our 1098-T service provider. Once the form is available, an email from ECSI will be sent to the student’s Rice email address with further instructions to access the form online. For students who have not consented to receive the form electronically, a paper copy will be mailed to the student's permanent address in Esther, or mailing address if a permanent address does not exist. Forms will not be generated for students whose qualified tuition and fees were waived, paid with scholarships, or covered by a formal billing arrangement, or for students who are nonresident aliens. Please email or call 713.348.4946 for questions regarding the 1098-T.

  • 1042-S forms will be issued by the Payroll office in March, no later than 3/15/24. If students have previously logged in to FNIS and consented to receive the 1042-S electronically, a digital copy will be uploaded to FNIS. If the electronic form consent in FNIS was not submitted, a paper copy will be mailed to the designated US mailing address in FNIS. If no US address is available in FNIS, the foreign address in FNIS will be used. If there is no address information in FNIS, the designated mailing address in iO will be used. Emails will be sent when the 1042-S is available. Please email or call 713.348.3410 with any questions regarding the 1042-S.


  • Rice Payment Reference Guide can help you better understand what forms you should expect. This document provides a list of tax forms corresponding to various payment types. It is ​​​posted under the Payroll office link here


  • Other helpful resources to assist you navigate through this tax filing season:
    • Rice Student Tax Webinars: to equip yourself with some high level understanding of the US tax law on individual tax return, please check out the slides and Zoom recordings of three wonderful Student Tax Webinars from here
    • OISS Office Sprintax Workshop: Rice international students and scholars can sign up with SprinTax during tax filing season to get tax forms prepared. Check details at OISS webpage here
    • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA): University of Houston Downtown Volunteer Income Tax Assistance offers free tax help to individuals and international students who can't prepare their own federal income tax returns. Check more details from here


Cambridge Office Building, 2nd Floor
6100 Main MS-70 | Houston, Texas 77005-1827
Phone: 713.348.4398 | Fax: 713.348.6001 | | Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

The Controller's Office is located in the Cambridge Office Building, also known as COB, at the intersection of S. Main street and Cambridge street.

In this building you will find the the following Departments:

The Cashier's Office is a division of the Controllers Office, however, it is located in the Allen Center, directly behind the Cambridge Office building.

Our Location:

Cambridge Office Building
6100 Main Street MS 70
Houston, Texas 77005-1827