Within the mission of the Controller's Office, the Tax Department is to ensure the university's compliance with various taxing authorities and to provide quality tax services to campus departments.
Tax Accounting Services Include:
- Administering the university and related parties' tax compliance.
- Ensuring timely filing of the university and related parties' Federal and State tax returns, reports and payments.
- Developing necessary procedures and reporting systems to ensure compliance with federal and state tax laws applicable to the university and related parties.
- Conducting tax research and advising on the tax consequences of certain activities or transactions of the university and related parties.
- Providing tax-planning opportunities for the university and related parties.
- Tracking legislative tax developments at the federal and state level and advising the university and related parties accordingly.
- Functioning as the university and related parties' liaison with federal and state tax authorities as well as with outside tax advisers with respect to tax issues.
Questions for W-2s, 1099s, and Individual Taxation:
- For your W-2 questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 713.348.3410.
- For your Form 1099 questions, please contact email@example.com
- For your questions on postdoc/graduate fellow payments, please contact P2P team at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check website: Payment Processing for Q&A on Graduate Student Fellow Payments.
- For you question on how to file your individual tax return, as this is beyond what the university can assist you with, you may need to consult a tax return preparer or do some tax research by yourself. Below is a list of helpful resources for your reference:
- The IRS website on general information on taxation of nonresident alien: Click Here
- The IRS website recorded video on US Taxation of Foreign Student and Scholars: Click Here
- The IRS website recorded video on Tax Treaty Benefits for NRA (Non Resident Alien) Individuals: Click Here
- If you need help from professional tax preparers, please check H&R Block website, TurboTax website, and other online tax services or local CPA firms that handle individual tax returns.
Cambridge Office Building, 2nd Floor
6100 Main MS-70 | Houston, Texas 77005-1827
Phone: 713.348.4398 | Fax: 713.348.6001 | email@example.com | Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.