Student Researchers (Rice and Non-Rice students)

Please refer to the following for an overview of the guidelines for processing these payments:

  • Student Research Employees (SRE) – Employees are required to satisfy the Form I-9 requirement prior to the start of employment. SREs will report their hours worked through Web Clock or Time Card in iO and receive pay on the BW (bi-weekly) payroll. Payments will be reportable on Form W-2 or Form 1042-S.
  • Student Research Trainees (SRT) – Trainees will need to submit Form W-9 or Form W-8BEN through the iO Supplier Registration process or by email to They will receive their payments from Procure to Pay through a non-standard disbursement. Payments will be reportable on Form 1099 or Form 1042-S, which may result in tax liability when SRTs file their tax returns.
  • Employee or Trainee Matrix (guidance regarding whether a student researcher is classified as an employee or trainee)
  • Student Research Trainee Guidance (guidance for departments to preserve non-employee status of the Student Research Trainee Program)
  • Student Research Employee Process (visual representation of the workflow process for hiring a Student Research Employee)
  • Student Research Trainee Process (visual representation of the workflow process for paying a Student Research Trainee)
  • Visiting International Undergraduate Researcher (visual representation of the workflow process for bringing a visiting international undergraduate researcher to campus)

The Controller's Office is located in the Cambridge Office Building, also known as COB, at the intersection of S. Main street and Cambridge street.

In this building you will find the the following Departments:

The Cashier's Office is a division of the Controllers Office, however, it is located in the Allen Center, directly behind the Cambridge Office building.

Our Location:

Cambridge Office Building
6100 Main Street MS 70
Houston, Texas 77005-1827