Supplier Guide to Invoice & Credit Memo Requirements
Rice University will only accept invoices directly from suppliers. Invoices shall not be distributed to customers directly and instead sent directly to email@example.com and must contain the information listed below in ordered to be considered valid. Rice University will not accept supplier statements or copies of purchase orders as substitutions for a supplier invoice.
- Include a valid, Rice University PO number
- Include a unique invoice number. Duplicate invoice numbers will delay payment significantly
- Include the word “Invoice” clearly printed on the top of the document
- Include an “Invoice date” on the document
- Include a description of the goods provided or services rendered that matches the PO issued
- Be printed on the supplier's logo or letterhead
- Include a “remit to” pay address that matches the payment address registered in the Rice University Supplier Portal
- Include a current amount due (not a balance forward).
- Include the person’s name who ordered the merchandise/service
- Include the department’s name who ordered the merchandise/service
- “Bill to” should be Rice University
- Include discount options (if applicable)
- Include payment terms (e.g. Net-30)
- Invoice must include only ONE purchase order number. Each purchase order number needs a separate invoice number.
Invoices which do not meet the invoice requirements above will be rejected for non-compliance. The supplier will be notified of the rejection and why. It is the supplier's sole responsibility to re‐submit the invoice, corrected, with proper information in a timely manner to ensure prompt payment. Upon receipt of a corrected invoice, a new due date will be calculated. Payments will not be issued based on statements.