Research & Cost Accounting

Fund Setup Process

Initial Award

To set up an initial award in the Banner financial system, Research & Cost Accounting (RCA) requires (1) the award documents, including all exhibits and attachments, and (2) the proposal documents, which include Rice's Internal Processing Form (IPF), the proposal budget, the budget narrative, the scope of work, and the cost sharing budget (if applicable).

Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance (SPARC) sends the award and proposal documents via e-mail to the Principal Investigator (PI), the Department Administrator (DA), and RCA.

Notice to Department

Once the fund has been set up, RCA sends an email to the PI, DA, Chairman, Dean's representative, and SPARC notifying them that the coding for the newly awarded grant or contract has been entered into Banner and is available for data entry by the department. The email also includes a copy of the Budget Action, a copy of the Fund Text, and any special terms and restrictions of the award. Please review the email and attachments carefully, and notify the person named in the contact box if you have any questions.

Advance Spending Fund

There are occasions when commitments or expenses need to be incurred before a fund has been established. For example, an award document has not been received by SPARC but there is relative certainty that it is forthcoming. In such cases, the Principal Investigator or Department Administrator can, with the approval of their Dean, request an Advance Spending Fund. Using an Advance Spending Fund will allow for proper coding of expenses and reduce the number of cost transfers and salary redistributions.

See the Advanced Spending Fund link for more information.

Amendments to Awards

To amend an award, RCA must receive an e-mail notice of an amendment from SPARC. RCA staff will then:

  • Update Banner screens as needed
  • Prepare a Budget Revision Notice of Amendment
  • Enter a budget journal entry in Banner
  • E-mail budget revision notices to department

The Controller's Office is located in the Cambridge Office Building, also known as COB, at the intersection of S.Main street and Cambridge street.

In this building you will find the the following Departments:

The Cashier's Office is a division of the Controllers Office, however, it is located in the Allen Center, directly behind the Cambridge Office building.

Our Location:

Cambridge Office Building
6100 Main Street MS 70
Houston, Texas 77005-1827